Llandaff RFC | 1st Team 20 - 25 Old Penarthians RFC | 1st Team
Nathan Mark Facey
2 Conversion
2 Penalty
Louis Chandler
1 Try
Rhys Lakin
1 Try
Chris Poole
1 Try

Match Report
19 November 2019 / Team News

Old Penarthians v Llandaff Match Report

Old Penarthians returned to Specsavers Division 3SE Central (B) league action last Saturday in an away fixture at Bishops Field, Llandaff and came away with a close fought victory by 25 points to 20

After the recent wet weather, the pitch was in remarkably good condition and under clear skies the match started with two tries in the first five minutes.  Old Penarthians were first to score when a Llandaff forward dropped the ball from the kick-off and a scrum was awarded. James Beaton playing at no 8 instead of Joel deClaire took the ball forward.  He passed to Jon Crimp who put captain Rhys Lakin into space.  Lakin was tackled but had forward support and when Lakin received a return pass from Tom Sidford he broke through tackles to stretch and score a try.

Llandaff responded immediately and after the kick off was gathered cleanly by James Roach the forwards presented good ball to the threequarters.  With positive intent they ran the ball but a floated pass from Lakin was intercepted and the Llandaff centre ran through to score unopposed under the posts.  With the conversion successful Llandaff led 7-5.

Penarthians then had a period of dominance but never really looked like scoring and after 15mins a scuffle broke out and Scott Mackie was shown a yellow card.  Llandaff were then in the ascendancy and only good defence in midfield by Lakin, Liam Bevan and Mark Sadler prevented further Llandaff scores.

It was however Old Pens who were to score next through individual skills by Chris Poole when he picked up a loose ball on halfway.  He chipped ahead and from a kind bounce recollected the ball and raced through from 30m to score a try that was converted by Nathan Facey.  Old Pens now led 12-7.

Penarthians continued to press through forward drives from Louis Chandler, Beaton and Peter Bennett but it was another handling mistake in midfield, this time by Poole, whilst in attack that was punished by Llandaff.  A dropped pass was hacked on and when Llandaff won the chase inside the Old Pens 22 a defensive penalty was conceded but with Llandaff having a numerical advantage they took the penalty quickly and Callum Digby scored a try that levelled the scores at half time.

Llandaff started the second half in Old Pens territory but three penalties conceded in quick succession saw Facey convert a penalty from in front of the posts for a 15-12 advantage. This was soon lost when an offside infringement was penalised and Llandaff levelled again at 15-15

This brought changes to the forwards with Luke Crockett replacing Sam Hall and Stuart Clarke on for Sam Hall and a new emphasis to the game plan with the forwards taking control of the ball.  It was then from a series of well-orchestrated drives from lineouts that gave Bennett the chance of scoring but he fell just short of the tryline and Chandler picked up the loose ball to score.  Facey converted for a 22-15 lead

Another lack of discipline from the otherwise excellent Beaton saw him sent to the touchline for 10 minutes.From the lineout following the penalty a backline move from Llandaff gave them a numerical advantage and Matt Cunningham scored an unconverted try wide out by the touchline.

Old Pens moved into the last 10 minutes with a slim two-point lead but this was extended to five points following a midfield offside by Llandaff and a successful Facey penalty kick.

The last part of the game was played out in the Old Pens half of the field but a determined defensive effort saw the visitors’ triumph and move up to third place in the division.

This Saturday both 1st and 2nd XVs are at home to Hirwaun and Llandaff North respectively with kick-offs scheduled for 2.30pm.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos