Old Penarthians RFC | 1st Team 5 - 14 Canton RFC | 1st Team
Daniel Watts
Try 1

Match Report
19 February 2019 / Team News

Old Penarthians v Canton Match Report

It was back to WRU Division 3 East Central (B) league action last Saturday when Old Penarthians entertained top-of-the table Canton. This was a very physical encounter from start to finish and gave the large crowd much to cheer but it was the visiting team that were to prevail

The final score of 14 points to 5 reflected the closeness of the contest and it is to the Old Pens’ credit that for only for the second time this season Canton have not scored 20 points or more and only the third time that they have not earned a bonus point in victory as they top the table with 72 points.

After the teams entered the pitch through a guard of honour from the Old Penarthians U11 M&J team, Old Pens received the kick-off. The ball was caught and Penarthians went on the attack with strong forward carries by James Beaton, Louis Chandler, Adan Cole and Scott Mackie.  Tom Sidford featured on two occasions and Liam Bevan nearly put acting captain, Jon Crimp, through the Canton defence.

The sustained effort was rewarded after three minutes when Canton were penalised. A kick to touch was the option but Nathan Facey miscued his effort into the in-goal area.  Canton touched down and were relieved to come out of the initial Penarthians onslaught unscathed.

From the ensuing drop out it was Canton’s turn to apply pressure and from a scrum, that was to be dominant throughout the match, on the Penarthians tryline they shoved the home team backwards and Chris Grant, picked up to score. The conversion was good and Canton led 7 – 0.

Old Penarthians were not discouraged and continued to take the fight to the opposition. Despite the pressure at scrum time effective lineout work from hooker Dan Watts and his jumpers, Beaton, Mackie and Joel deClaire ensured that good ball was available.  

Attacks generally came from the forwards but winger Matt Sutton was always on hand to carry the ball forward.  Tomos Hillman was a probing scrum half and Nathan Smith made a good break through midfield on one occasion finding Chandler, Watts and Sam Hall in support.  As the move went forward an errant boot on the back of a Canton player in an offside position at a ruck allowed Canton to kick to safety.

Canton then resumed their scrummage power and camped on the Od Pens tryline.  Forays from mauls were repelled and the home team secured a relieving scrum of their own which was won with surprising ease.  Unfortunately, the pass to Facey was dropped behind the line and another scrum was called, this time in favour on Canton

On this occasion the pressure was too much and the pack stopped the shove illegally so the referee awarded a penalty try.  Under the new laws a conversion is not required and Canton led 14 – 0.  Smith then attempted to restart the game immediately from the half way line with the opposition celebrating but the referee blew the whistle saying that Canton should be allowed to regroup.

Penarthians were not discouraged and when Beaton fielded a high ball in a defensive position, he ran down the touchline.  He found support from Hillman and Sutton but another infringement at the ruck conceded possession and territory.

A spirited and hotly contested half closed with Canton fourteen points ahead.

Penarthians started the second half strongly and after 3 minutes were awarded a penalty but the kick at goal was missed. Penarthians bounced back from the disappointment with a concerted effort by the forwards in ‘Penarth corner’.  More than a dozen controlled mauls and forward drives brought the tryline ever loser but at the last attempt the referee determined that the ball was held up short of the line and awarded Canton a scrum

With 15 mins played James Roach replaced Mackie and had an almost immediate affect when he took a short pass from deClaire in mid field and sprinted through for 25m.  Unfortunately, he was bought down short of the tryline.

Injured centres Crimp and Bevan departed with 8 minutes to play but Penarthians continued to attack.  Smith again broke out of defence with a powerful run and when Canton were penalised Facey kicked to touch.  His kick was however caught by Fearghas Gough who made ground.  Support was on hand and after several phases Watts muscled his way over the tryline to score. The conversion was unsuccessful.

With time running out there were no more scores and Penarthians had been unable to defeat the unbeaten Canton team

There are no fixtures this weekend as all eyes will be on the Wales v England international in Cardiff.  All spectators not going to the match are welcome at the club where complimentary food will be on offer.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos