Old Penarthians RFC | 1st Team 26 - 7 Tonyrefail RFC | 1st Team
Nathan Smith
Try 1
Nathan Mark Facey
Conversion 3
Try 1
Rhys Lakin
Try 2

Match Report
17 April 2019 / Team News

Old Penarthians v Tonyrefail Match Report

Last Saturday Old Penarthians played their penultimate home match of their WRU Division 3 East Central (B) league season against Tonyrefail.  It was a match of two distinct halves with a 0-0 scoreline at half time that eventually resulted in a four try bonus point victory to Old Penarthians by 26 points to 7.

The win was the team’s eleventh victory in thirteen outings, a run that includes a Boxing Day victory over Penarth and only two losses. The first against Llantwit Major only three days after the Penarth match and the other against league leaders Canton

This is a long way from the position that the club was in at the beginning of April 2018 when only three wins in the last five matches saved Penarthians from relegation.

This season the team has shown a more resolute approach and this was exemplified in the first minute against Tonyrefail when Gareth Boulton made a tackle on a charging opponent that sent him backwards onto the ground.  It was an example that his teammates had to follow for the rest of the  half as Tonyrefail attacked the Penarthians tryline for much of the period.

There were not many opportunities for Penarthians to attack during the period but on two occasions good play from deep saw first Chris Poole benefit from a ball stolen at a maul by Nathan Smith and then John Patterson have a run down the touchline after good midfield work by Jon Crimp and Nathan Facey.

The pressure was however mounting and after 22 minutes Adan Cole was shown a yellow card after an accumulation of team infringements. Tonyrefail opted for a five-metre scrum from the resulting penalty but the Penarthians pack held strong and the tight five of Sam Hall, Boulton, Tom Sidford, Stuart Clarke and James Roach shoved their opposition backwards to gain themselves a scrum and a clearance kick up field.

By now the spectators were also getting frustrated by the decisions going against their team and at one point the referee halted the game to admonish the supporters about their behaviour.  At the time this seemed like an over zealous reaction but the referee does have the right to respect from everyone at the match.  There is a code of conduct for all those watching which the referee considered had been overstepped and it is something that must be addressed to ensure that the good name of Old Penarthians within the referees’ circle is maintained.

After a strong talk from coaches Simon Hurley and Anthony Davies the second half started in dynamic fashion when the kick off was caught by Josh Allcock and passed directly to Cole.  Cole broke tackles and passed onto Sidford who released the ball as he went to ground but the pass to Clarke in space went astray

The momentum was however maintained and Luke Crockett, on as a substitute for Boulton was soon in the action.  He was supported by Dan Watts, playing at flanker rather than hooker in this match, and a scrum was earned on half way


The scrum was under pressure but Cole managed to get the ball to Tomos Hollman who gave a flat pass to Smith.  He burst through two tackles before passing to Poole.  A jinking run beat three defenders before a return pass to Smith sent him under the posts for the first try of the afternoon that was converted by Facey.

Tonyrefail bounced back however and after a scrum and a series of rucks Matthew Davies scored a try that was converted by Owen Lewis.

With the scores level Scott Mackie and Fearghas Gough replaced Clarke and Patterson respectively and Gough was soon in the action making a good clearance kick upfield after a creaking scrum just held its ground on the tryline.

Then came the captain’s first try, when from a pass from Hillman Rhys Lakin broke the first tackle and found himself in space but with 40m to go to the tryline.  He eventually decided to trust his pace and ran to score a try converted by Facey.

This was followed ten minutes later by Lakin’s second try after good forward drives from Cole, Watts and replacement Joel deClaire.  The missed conversion made the score 19-7.

The final play of the game was also probably the best move of the match with Crimp and Lakin releasing Poole along the touchline.  He sidestepped his opposite number and as the last defender approached, he passed back inside to Facey who scored the bonus-point try. Facey converted for a final score of 26-7.

This Saturday Old Penarthians host Caerau Ely in their last home game of the season.  Kick off will be at 2.30pm.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos