Ynysowen RFC | 1st Team 24 - 0 Old Penarthians RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
27 September 2019 / Team News

Old Penarthians v Ynysowen Match Report

Old Penarthians 1st XV played their second game of the season away to Ynysowen in the Preliminary Round of the WRU Specsavers National Bowl competition and left with a defeat by 24 point to nil

It was unfortunately another difficult day for the selectors with members of the first team squad unavailable through injury and holiday.  The team was therefore much changed from the game against Llantwit Major with only six players who started that match in the line-up against Ynysowen.

It is positive to think that the depth of the squad can accommodate the number of changes but it detrimental to a consistent game plan that the coaches want to develop.

The team performed well against a young Ynysowen side and when ball was available the threequarters created opportunities to score.  These opportunities were however limited by the lack of ball available from the set pieces.  It was a difficult afternoon for the front row od Sam Hall, Luke Crockett and debutant David Thomas, but all put in a defensive effort.

Also to the fore defensively among the forwards were Louis Chandler, Scott Mackie and James Beaton making his seasonal debut. Geraint Blake gave up his note taking role on the sidelines to assist the team and after an early muscle treatment went on to complete the match at his usual level of competitiveness.

Jack Margetson completed the forward contingent and he used his height to good affect to win line-out ball both in attacking situations as well as spoiling opposition ball. 

The threequarters featured Gareth Mathias at scrum half playing his first game for three years and he will definitely compete for the position as the season progresses. It was therefore unfortunate that he was forced off at half time with a cut that required stitches. In the revised line-up Chris Poole moved to outside half and whilst he always looked to attack his proximity to the opposition forwards left him without the room that he creates in a wider centre berth.

Jon Crimp played in the centre with Craig Haines and neither allowed any space to the opposition in midfield with some hard-hitting tackles. Alex Lewis and Gareth Clancy provided the pace on the wings whilst Nathan Facey at full back thrived under the high ball and cleared his lines with some siege gun kicks to touch.

All these aspects were evident in the first half of the match which neither side dominated and it was  with the last play of the half that Penarthians conceded a try in the corner from a rolling maul and second drive. The conversion was missed and Ynysowen led 5-0 at half time.

The second half started with Clancy moving to scrum half after the withdrawal of Mathias and Andrew Gill appearing on the wing.  Ynysowen were however still dominating possession and after 10 minutes scored an unconverted try in the corner after a blindside move from a scrum.

After 25 minutes a ‘crossing’ move by Ynysowen went unseen by the referee and whilst both sides stopped expecting the whistle to be blown the hooker continued his run to score under the posts for a 17-0 lead.

The best move by Penarthians came after 30 minutes when a move across the backline saw Facey break the defence before stepping back inside.  The ball was set up and released Crimp into the opposition twenty-two. He fed onto Blake who passed to Haines.  He was helped by the forwards but they were held up over the line.  The attacking scrum was lost as was the scoring opportunity and the last word went to Ynysowen who score a converted try with the last play of the match.

This Saturday Old Penarthians again play Ynysowen at home this time in a league fixture. The Seconds travel away to Pentyrch.  Both games are scheduled to kick off at 2.30pm.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos