Old Penarthians RFC | 1st Team 16 - 18 St Albans RFC | 1st Team
Jonathan Crimp
Penalty 2
Scott Mackie
Try 1
Adan Cole
Try 1

Match Report
31 October 2018 / Team News

Old Penarthians v St Albans Match Report

Match Result:  Old Penarthians 16 St Albans 18

Last Saturday Old Penarthians entertained St Albans at home in a Division 3 East Central (B) league match.  It was another nail biting encounter for the spectators with the final score decided in the last three minutes when St Albans slotted a penalty kick to win by two points.

The match started with non-stop action from both sides but with Old Penarthians being the more incisive and creating the best chances through Chris Poole, Rowan Allcock and Rhys Lakin. Forward support was always at hand and Tom Sidford, James Roach and Louis Chandler carried the ball into contact with purpose.


It was ironic therefore that it should be when St Albans were in possession that Skipper Lakin was rewarded with a penalty at the breakdown.  Jon Crimp was successful with the kick and Penarthians led 3 – 0.

Play continued to ebb and flow and it was good to see that the scrummage again held its’ own with Callum Wingren, Sam Hall and Sidford matching their opponents.  With Adan Cole returned to the number 8 position it also meant that any poor ball was dealt with positively

It was something against the run of play that St Albans gained territory and the forwards retained possession in a series of line outs and mauls that eventually saw Liam Hudson score wide out.  The conversion was unsuccessful

Penarthians responded on 25 minutes when sharp work from the forwards within their own half gave Dave Lakin the chance to set the threequarters running.  Mark Sadler made the initial break and he released Poole into the St Albans 22.  He was tackled but the defence infringed, and Crimp kicked the resulting penalty.  Old Pens now led 6 – 5.


 After the restart the Old Pens forwards again used their ball skills to run at the opposition with Wingren, James Beaton and Scott Mackie breaking through the defence.  On 35 minutes a penalty chance was missed but Penarthians kept looking to impose themselves.  Unfortunately, their enthusiasm resulted in too many penalties being conceded and pressure could not be maintained. A theme that was to continue into the second half.

Just before half time an unseemly ruckus involving most of the forwards resulted in yellow cards being shown to Chandler and the St Albans number 8. Fortunately, it was an isolated incident that did not mar the second period.

The second half started with John Patterson replacing Allcock and he was immediately in the action. He chased a good kick off from Crimp forcing the St Albans second row to knock on.  Beaton and Mackie secured the bouncing ball and from the ensuing ruck Lakin fed Poole who passed to Patterson on the wing who was held up over the try- line by a well-judged tackle.

The resulting scrum showed the recent improvement at that phase of the game and a push-over try to Cole gave Penarthians a 11 – 5  lead

It was then the turn of St Albans to attack and from a lineout the forwards controlled the ball and a try was scored wide out.  With the aid of a strong wind the conversion was successful and the Buns led 12 -11. During the play leading up to the score Beaton was injured and replaced by Stu Clarke.

St Albans maintained the pressure and despite resolute defence on the try-line from two scrums and several close-range sorties Penarthians conceded a penalty after 25 minutes that was kicked to trail by 4 points.

Penarthians were not to be overawed and with confidence continued to attack whenever possible.  Matt Sutton, Sadler and Rhys Lakin all made significant ground in mid field but the last pass would go astray.

From one attack however, Patterson thought he had scored his second try but the referee could not clearly see the ball over the line under a mass of bodies and awarded a five-metre scrum. The scrum was successfully retained and Cole picked up.  With support from the rest of the forwards it was eventually Mackie that fell over the line under and this time the referee could see that the ball was grounded.  The conversion was missed but Penarthians had a slender one-point advantage.

The decisive play came with three minutes of the match remaining and Old Pens in possession.  Staying true to the philosophy of attacking rugby the threequarters were passing the ball along the line when a suspiciously off-side St Albans centre intercepted a pass from Lakin to Sadler and sped 70m upfield.  The Penarthians defence recovered but illegally in the eyes of the referee and St Albans kicked the resulting penalty to win the match 18 -16

This  Saturday Wales take centre stage in a game against Scotland in the Autumn Series of internationals.  Old Penarthians return to league action away to Canton on Saturday 10th November with a 2.30pm kick off


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos