Old Penarthians RFC | 1st Team 27 - 22 Wattstown RFC | 1st Team
Scott Mackie
Try 1
Nathan Mark Facey
Conversion 3
Penalty 2
Nathan Smith
Try 1
Rhys Lakin
Try 1

Match Report
22 January 2019 / Team News

Old Penarthians v Wattstown Match Report

Another close encounter at Cwrt-y-vil last Saturday when Old Penarthians defeated Wattstown by 27 points to 22 in their latest WRU league Division 3 East Central (B) fixture.  It was a match that included seven tries, with the home team contributing three by the 60th minute of the game but Wattstown fought back scoring two late tries to earn a bonus point for their four tries. 

The four league points gained from the victory ensured that Old Penarthians retained their fifth place in the division with 32 points, six points behind Caerau Ely who have played two more games than Old Pens

The game stated well with the initial kick fielded by Tom Sidford. He gave a smart offload to Scott Mackie who made ground into midfield.  The forwards were in support and after a series of drives the ball was released by Tomos Hollman to Nathan Smith who drilled a kick back into Wattstown territory.

The pressure was maintained and after a turnover from Joel deClaire a penalty was awarded to Old Penarthians.  Nathan Facey missed touch with his kick and the Wattstown winger returned a high kick.  Facey gathered and ran into midfield.  He was supported by Sam Hall and James Roach, rightly retaining his place in the team after late withdrawals of players initially picked ahead of him, and play entered the Wattstown twenty-two. Another infringement was penalised and after 10 minutes Facey kicked the penalty.

On 20 minutes Penarthians scored a try after good approach work from the forwards with Matt Sutton prominent supported again by Roach, Mackie and Josh Allcock. The forward work ensured good ball to the backs who passed wide to John Patterson and Facey before the ball came back to the centre of the pitch.  Sidford and deClaire crossed the gain line and when Nathan Smith received the ball he deceived the defence with an inside dummy before crossing for the try.  Facey converted and the home team had a ten-point advantage.

This was eroded almost immediately when the kick off was not held cleanly and Wattstown swarmed forward.  From a scrum and series of back moves Wattstown passed the ball to the winger, Ryan Smith, who scored in the left-hand corner.  The conversion was unsuccessful

Penarthians were however the more dominant team and extended their lead again on the half hour when from territory made by bustling runs from Sutton and deClaire, a smart kick ahead by Liam Bevan crossed the tryline and  Rhys Lakin won the race to touch down.  Facey converted and the score was 17 – 5.

With the Wattstown supporters obviously disappointed by the penalty count in favour of Old Penarthians it was no surprise that with a minute left in the half Facey kicked another penalty for an interval score of 20 – 5.

The coaches’ half time talk by Simon Hurley and Anthony Davies would have been a lot easier than in recent weeks and Penarthians must have been confident to add to their lead in the second half.

That confidence was enhanced when the restart from Wattstown did not travel the required 10m and the scrum delivered ball to the threequarters who attacked through Smith and Bevan down the touchline before Facey could not quite release the ball to Jonathan Crimp on the wing.

Several other attacks came to nothing with opportunities missed through misjudged and misguided kicks from open play

These misses were put into context after eleven minutes when a home lineout was lost on half way.  Smith was receiving treatment and with the home threequarters outnumbered Wattstown attacked the wide channels and Snowy Williams scored an unconverted try.

Penarthians bounced back and for a period camped on the opposition tryline.  The forward effort was well controlled but unfortunately points were not forthcoming.

Substitutions were then made with Adan Cole, James Beaton, Adam Davies and Gareth Clancy replacing respectively Allcock, Roach , Gareth Boulton and Hillman

Straight away a line out was won and Cole made ground.  The ball was released to Smith who sent Lakin into the opposition. He didn’t take contact however and passed to Crimp who advanced into the opposition 22.  Support from the forwards arrived from Sutton and Mackie and when the ball crossed the line the referee awarded a try to Mackie despite the opposition protestations that the ball was not grounded.  Facey converted and Penarthians led 27 – 10.

At this stage a fourth try to Old Penarthians looked likely but it was Wattstown who ended the stronger and two tries from Matthew Lewis on 32 and 36 minutes with one converted left Old Penarthians hanging on to a narrow, but deserved, 27 – 22 victory. 

This Saturday Old Penarthians 1st and 2nd teams are at home to Llandaff and Llandaff North respectively with the kick offs scheduled for 2.30pm.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos