Old Penarthians RFC | 1st Team 19 - 10 Treherbert RFC | 1st Team
Jonathan Crimp
Conversion 1
Penalty 4
Christopher Poole
Try 1

Match Report
18 September 2018 / Team News

Old Penarthians v Treherbert Match Report

Last Saturday Old Penarthians 1st XV entertained Treherbert in the first round of the WRU Bowl knock out competition at Cwrt-y-vil.  The match was a very tight affair, but Old Pens triumphed in the end by 19 points to 10 and progress into the draw for the next round.

It was another encouraging performance from all the players although there is still work to be done by the forwards at both scrummage and line out situations.  Any deficiencies at these phases were however more than compensated for in the loose where the back-row trio of Louis Chandler, James Beaton and Adan Cole were a continuous threat in attack and defence.  Added to this, Callum Wingren was always keen to attack to the opposition with close range forays but was also noticeable in attack with ball in hands.

The threequarters were always looking to take the initiate and were often instigating attacks from within their own half.  This adventurous style does rely on confidence and support and with a little more control at the last phase of the play then other scoring opportunities may have been productive.

That said the combination of the forwards and backs is already showing signs that the supporters should be well entertained as the season progresses.

The match started with Old Penarthians playing with the strong breeze at their backs and hoping to build up a lead that could be defended in the second half and for the first 10 minutes Old Pens had most of the territory and possession but could not capitalise.  A couple of forward drives from successful line outs saw firstly Scott Mackie and then Gareth Boulton held up just short of the try-line.  Treherbert were then able to clear their lines.

Another attack started with a forward drive on the right-hand touchline led by Tom Sidford and then the ball was released to the threequarters.  Smart handling by Rhys Lakin and Mark Sadler saw Chandler in mid-field who broke through a tackle into the opposition twenty-two. Much to the disbelief of father Martin, Louis passed to winger Fearghas Gough who was tackled into touch yards from the tryline.  

 On 35 minutes skipper Lakin decided that points on the board were required and Crimp slotted a penalty from in front of the posts for a 3-point advantage.  Just on half time another kick at goal was declined and a kick to the corner for a forward line out drive was non-productive as the throw was deemed to be crooked.

As with the week before against Llantwit Major a small half time lead did not support the territorial advantage and was going to rely on a determined effort into the wind in the second half.

Things did not start well however when after 10 minutes a clearance kick from Tomos Hillman did not reach touch and Treherbert took advantage by driving into midfield.  From the ensuing ruck the Treherbert scrum half found space and raced through from 30m to score under the posts.  He converted his own try and Treherbert led 7 – 3.

Penarthians then went on the attack and after a high tackle on Chris Poole after a loose ball steal by Chandler Treherbert were penalised a further 10m for backchat and Crimp kicked the penalty to reduce the deficit to one point.  Soon after Boulton was yellow carded for a scrummage infringement.  He was replaced by Gary Bishop, making his seasonal debut, which meant that Gough temporarily left the field.  This did not limit Penarthians ambitions and a break by Poole and a clever offload nearly put Crimp away down the touchline.

Then came another high tackle by Treherbert and a yellow card for the transgressor.  Crimp kicked the resulting penalty and Old Pens were back in front.

The following kick off was caught cleanly by Sidford who passed on to Cole.  In turn he passed to Wingren and Penarthians advanced into Treherbert territory. The ball was recycled a couple of times and eventually Sidford carried the ball into contact just outside the opposition 22.  The ball came back quickly and with numbers favourable on the left-hand side Hillman got the ball away to Sam Hall.  A smart pass from Hall to Poole gave him the opportunity to break the cover defence and score a try that the move deserved.  Crimp converted.

Treherbert were not to denied however and they returned to the offensive and earned themselves a kickable penalty.  The opportunity was taken and Penarthians sat on a six-point lead with a nervous 10 minutes remaining.

Nerves were eased with five minutes remaining when Crimp kept his 100% success rate with another penalty and Penarthians led by 19 – 10.  This was to be the final score but the victory was tarnished in the last three minutes when the referee dismissed the Treherbert replacement second row and home forward Mackie for a clash after a tackle. 

The incident was out of context with the rest of the match and seemed to those that saw it to be inconsequential however the referee’s decision is final, and both players accepted their fate without comment.  The Club awaits the referee’s report to determine whether an appeal on Mackie’s behalf is justified

By coincidence next Saturday sees the first XV play Treherbert again, this time in an away fixture in the league.  Penarthians will be looking for a repeat result but are sure to meet a home team who will be prepared for the all-out attacking plays that are fundamental to the Old Pens game plan.  The second XV are away to Cathays.  Both games kick off at 2.30pm.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos