02 October 2019 / Team News

Old Penarthians RFC v Ynysowen (League) Match Report

On a blustery but dry afternoon at Cwrt-y-vil, and with a number of familiar faces returning to the team, the 1st XV put their season back on track with a hard fought but worthy 27-0 victory over Ynysowen; avenging last weekend’s defeat against the same opposition in the WRU Bowl competition.

Playing with the wind towards the Clubhouse in the first half, the hosts were soon on the attack with some clever interplay between forwards and backs, marshalled as usual by the effective scrum half Tom Hillman. However, despite earning numerous good field positions, line-outs were proving very difficult to control and several opportunities were wasted with no doubt the wind having an impact. It was from a scrum penalty 30 metres out that Nathan Facey opened the scoring for the home side with a well struck penalty for a 3-0 lead.

More excellent field position was secured by some raking kicks from outside half Nathan Smith and at the 7th time of asking, an attacking line-out was won and a driving maul resulted in new kit sponsor and blind-side flanker Louis Chandler, MD of SMS scaffolding, scoring the first try of the afternoon which went unconverted for an 8-0 score line.

Ynysowen showed great grit and determination in response, dominating possession for long periods, but the scoreboard was not troubled due to a mixture of poor handling and resolute home defence. The set-pieces were proving to be very difficult for both teams. The Old Pens’ scrum certainly appeared much more solid than previous outings this season with Luke Crockett, Pete Bennett and Tom Sidford providing the ballast, but neither team was able to gain ascendancy.

After a full 15 minutes being penned in their own half and with half-time beckoning, an attacking line-out was won in Ynysowen’s 22. Following a series of forward drives, the three-quarters were unleashed and captain Rhys Lakin dived over under the posts to the joy of the large home crowd. Nathan Facey added the 2 points and at half-time the ‘old boys’ led 15-0.

The second half began in much the same way as the first with the home team on the attack and looking to move the ball at every opportunity. Home forward James Beaton secured turnover ball just outside his own 22 and, in a flowing move, the excellent back row forward Adan Cole made a telling break and provided the offload to winger Chris Poole who’s mazy run saw him beat 4 defenders and score a try in the corner. His unconverted try extended the lead to 20-0.

Ynysowen continued to press for a score that would have brought them back into the game, but the breakdown continued to be a problem for both sides and a number of penalties and yellow cards resulted from the chaos, either side of the last score of the afternoon when, after 56 minutes, the vocal home support was treated to the play of the day. With another turnover conceded by the visitors in the Old Pens’ half, the ball was moved quickly into the midfield and through 8 pairs of hands. After some excellent support play, Adan Cole took the scoring pass from Jonathan Crimp to secure the fourth try and a bonus point. With Nathan Facey kicking the conversion, the home team took an unassailable 27-0 lead which was to prove to be the final score.

This was a more typical performance after such a disappointing start to the season, but next Saturday presents another selection headache for coaches Simon Hurley and Anthony Davies when a number of key players will again be unavailable due to Team Manager Chris Thorne’s wedding. However, the 1st XV should still be able to muster a strong team for the league game away at Cefn Coed RFC, whilst the 2nd XV is scheduled to play their first home game of the season V St Albans 2nd XV.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments