Canton RFC | 1st Team 34 - 8 Old Penarthians RFC | 1st Team
Callum Wingren
1 Try
Jonathan Crimp
1 Penalty

Match Report
13 November 2018 / Team News

Old Penarthians v Canton Match Report

Match Result:  Canton 34 Old Penarthians 8

After a respectful acknowledgement of the Armistice weekend by the players and spectators from both Canton and Old Penarthians the Division 3 East Central (B) league fixture kicked off under the roars of the Cardiff City stadium crowd celebrating a victory over Brighton.

Unfortunately for Old Penarthians the theme of a home victory was repeated, and Canton won the match by 34 points to 8 to remain unbeaten in the league with 35 points from seven fixtures played

This was the first match of the season when Old Penarthians did not pick up a league point either in victory or defeat.  Three wins and three losses, within seven points of the opposition, leaves the Club with 15 points from their seven games and in seventh place in the league

The match started positively with a good kick off from Jon Crimp. Fearghas Gough chased and pressurised the Canton second row into a mistake.  Sidford caught the ball and moved forward with support from James Roach and Adan Cole.  Canton infringed, and a penalty award was kicked to within 10m of the Canton tryline. 

The line out throw from Dave Cooper to Josh Allcock was collected and an attack was launched through midfield only for a mistake to be made and a penalty to be conceded.  Canton showed their intent by taking a quick penalty from their own line and ran all the way into the Penarthians twenty-two before the attack was stopped.

Canton then camped in the Old Pens half of the field and were rewarded after 12 mins with a push over scrum and a try to Luke Reagan. 

On 25 minutes a good break out of defence by Joel deClaire, playing in an unaccustomed role of centre, supported by Rhys Lakin saw Penarthians into opposition territory. The forwards were in support through Scott Mackie and Louis Chandler and when Tomos Hillman released the ball back to Lakin he put Chris Poole into space with a two man overlap and a potential try likely.


Unfortunately, a deliberate knock-on by a Canton defender meant the try was not forthcoming and he was correctly shown a yellow card by the referee.  The resulting penalty from Crimp hit the post and no advantage was taken.

Penarthians tried to make their numerical advantage tell and for five minutes pressurised the Canton tryline through sustained forward attacks.  The last surge however found Mackie isolated without support and Canton were awarded a penalty to relieve the pressure.

With the pressure eased Canton won a line out on half way and with three slick passes, a break through midfield and a final pass to their flying winger Peter Hughes, Canton scored in the corner for a 10-point lead.

Penarthians did respond and from a Canton scrum a penalty was awarded which Crimp kicked to make the half time score 10 – 3

The second half could not have started in worst fashion when straight from the kick off indecision between Cole and Gough resulted in a bouncing ball that was collected by the Canton forwards and Max Sangster ran over to score unopposed.  The conversion was good, and Canton led 17 – 3

Changes to the line up saw deClaire replaced by Nathan Facey, making his seasonal debut, and Cooper replaced by club debutant Dan Watts.

Penarthians continued to compete in all phases of the game but were second best on too many occasions.  When a referee’s decision goes against the team as  well, when a clear knock-on was not awarded to the Old Pens in defence, and the play continues for a Facey clearance kick to be charged down over the tryline by Josh Smitters, it is not going to be your day.

The conversion was successful and Canton led by 24 – 3

Penarthians responded with pressure of their own and with a stronger set piece with the introduction of Gary Bishop a series of scrums in the Canton half together with a series of rolling mauls from successful line-outs saw Callum Wingren emerge from a pile of bodies having scored a try.  The conversion was wide but Penarthians trailed by only 16 points.

One more converted score would at least have given Old Pens something from the game but it was not to be.  Despite one break out of defence by John Patterson, Poole and Facey that gained 60m the team conceded two late tries to Cristian Rees and Ryan Rees and a dispirited Penarthians team left the artificial pitch with a defeat by 34 points to 8.

There is no league fixture this Saturday with Wales playing Tonga at the Principality Stadium, but Old Pens return to league action on 24th November with a home match against Glyncoch. The match is due to kick-off at 2.30pm.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos